.12 on a Custom 24 (PRS)

Forums Guitars, Gear, Software & Education .12 on a Custom 24 (PRS)

taedium

Hi fellow axe wielders. I was just wondering if anyone had a good knowledge of PRS guitars. I picked up a 20th anniversary Custom 24 some years ago and it still is my dream guitar, but recently I wanted something more beefy than standard gauge .10 strings so I put the thickest D’addarios on it (0.12 I believe, been a while since I bought them). This of course made the bridge uneven, but it’s fine now. My question is whether the neck will get crooked or not, since it shipped with 9’s or 10’s. The action is pretty high now so I should probably take it to a luthier, but this requires a plane ticket for me since I live in the Lofoten islands, Norway, above the arctic circle. (so all you luthiers looking for work, come to norway asap! 😀 ) Any tips would be much appreciated.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Replies

Tjena Tae! Allt väl i Norge?
    First off (reverting to English), do you use standard tuning?
    I’ve used 0.11-50 on PRS’es in the past, without a hint of a problem.
    I doubt very much that the neck would suffer any damage form using 0.12 (to .52?)
    If you do not use standard tuning, but down-tune a whole or half step, then absolutely NO problems.
    You should check the relief on the neck though, as you will probably need t tighten the truss rod to compensate for the heavier pull and tension in the strings. (check my setup tutorial for this part).
    When using heavier string you will need to find a suitable neck relief. Usually with thinner string you can have a very flat relief without buzzing, and still get a grip on the string (since they are so easy to bend). But, with heavier gauge, you will need some relief and string height to get a firm enough grip on the strings for proper bending technique (see my bending boot camp for that).
    BUT! You should not have TOO much of a relief and string height, since this will make the neck more like a bow, and put much stress on the neck. The straighter the neck is, the more the force is focused through the length of the neck, making it more stable, this also means that you will not have to force bending against the actual tension of the neck as well as the strings.

But anyways, adjusting the bridge of the 24 ALSO requires meticulous attention to detail!
    The bridge screws must be at EXACTLY the same height through out, or the bridge will not return to zero properly, and you will have tuning issues. If you watch my setup tutorial, and still feel in the least hesitant about trying the adjustment for yourself, I suggest 1.) you contact me for a hands on live session (in English or Swedish through skype or the likes), or 2.) take it to a accomplished PRS retailer and setup-technician. With your location problems however, I will do what I can to help you out over the net. I have a 513 model coming in after the weekend, which sports the same type of tremolo as on yours, so a “show and tell” set-up guide shouldn’t be a problem.

Shoot me a PM and we’ll sort things out.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.