6 or 7 String?

Forums Guitars, Gear, Software & Education 6 or 7 String?

tjchep

Well, over the summer I’m going to go get my first fancy guitar.. Now thats quite a long time away anyways but I just wanted some input..

So I see alot of people playing 7 strings lately and whats the fuss? I mean I see nothing wrong with a low B, and it would actually be pretty cool to have that extra lower register. The thing is though, I’m no metal head by anymeans, so would it be less usefull for me? Or would it be good to have incase I do delve a bit more into metal?Anyways I Don’t know what I’d fit into really, more Heavy rock – Blues – (Wannabe) Fusion. But If I’m going to get into seven strings I might as well get into them now so I can get right into all the extended chords and stuff and just get it under my fingers super quick.

Now.. What would you recommend for me? Getting used to a 7 String or just sticking with the good ol’ 6 String. Pros and Cons are appreciated.

tj

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Replies
    Goliath

The guitar I’m looking at picking up next is a Washburn WG587, new ones in the box go for like 175 before shipping. Apparently at one point they sold for close to 1k. I figure that’s a pretty minor investment and will give me something to play around with. I’d go for a high quality 6 string for your first simply from an investment standpoint. You will always have a use for a good 6 string, but unless you’re really into darker/heavier music, you just don’t see the same resale on a good 7 string. So my advice would be buy something that will hold it’s value and you know you will use vs. something that would be neat to have and use, given your taste in music, I would say good 6 string. If you get a wild hair, get a cheap 7 string like the washburn.

tjchep

Well..

You don’t have to use the 7 string for just dark stuff.. it can just add a lower interval to your playing.. and adds much more room for originality right?

And it’s not like you have to have a 7 string just for the rhythm stuff or whatever If I don’t like the 7th string then I can always just use the 6, but the 7th will eventually grow on me.. just like the whammy bar did :).

And as far as 6 string goes.. I have a Ibanez s470 right now, going to swap the pickups out asap.. They just have a bit to much of a cocked wah sound.. Very midrangy, not a good midrange at that*.

Alex

I love my 7. I dislike playing 6’s anymore (well, there are exceptions, my Washburn is still the best playing 6 I’ve ever layed hands on, and my lp is just well ace).

But then, I am trying very hard to be Bulb/Periphery; and subsequently failing.

TBH I’d do what Goliath said and pick up a cheap 7 to mess with, that way, if you dont like it, it was only a couple hundred, no big loss.

tjchep

Yeah..

Do you find it hard to play any 6 string rhythm stuff on a 7 string?

I’ll go try some out or buy a cheap one home and try it out for a couple weeks then return it and if I like it get a nice one.

Sean Conklin
    Sean Conklin

Yeah you’ll probably just have to experiment a bit.

I personally love 7 strings. I don’t currently have one, but I used to have a MusicMan Petrucci 7, and that has always been my favorite guitar by far. It’s a bit weird at first adjusting to a 7, but for me, it didn’t take much time at all before the Low B was 2nd nature to me. And I was able to play “6 string” stuff on it no problem.

I’d might recommend getting a cheaper 7 string before going all out, like others have said. Or at least going to a music store and playing on some 7s for a few hours to see if it’s your thing. If it is, then maybe go for a fancy 7?

And in my opinion, it doesn’t really matter what style of music you’re into. Having more range in your note options can be beneficial with all styles.

Good luck with your decision! šŸ™‚

Sean

Alex

It took me perhaps a couple of hours playing to get used to the 7th string. I like playing 6 string guitar stuff on my 7, especially downtuned stuff, because the baritone scale and EMGs really give lower tunings definition.

tjchep

Great stuff, I’m thinking of either a 7 string pettrucci or rusty cooley model.

Not because they are signatures, just so I can play the guitar without it getting in my way. But i’ll try and find a store than has one of them in stock and pick a day to go in there for a few hours and just play.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.