1994 Demo (guitarist of the year entry)

Forums Listening Lounge 1994 Demo (guitarist of the year entry)

Rick Graham

Hey guys

After checking out Guthrie’s 1993 recording of Waves, I dug deep in the storage cupboard and found an old four track recording I made which I ended up entering for the 1995 guitarist of the year comp. I hooked up an old cassette machine to the PC and converted it to mp3. My brother is playing the keys and I’m playing bass. It’s bizarre listening back after all this time so I though you guys may be interested to hear it.

http://www.myspace.com/rickgraham

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Replies
    billmeedog

Hey Rick, šŸ™‚

Thanks for sharing that nugget of history with us! It’s very cool to hear how much of your awesome ability was already developed after such a short time playing (in 1994 you had only been playing for a couple of years, correct?) You displayed SUCH promise after such a short time bro! This instrumental piece has some good ideas in it. I can hear how you were already fusing such disparate styles as jazz, metal, and prog-rock (I noticed the early-Genesis approved 7/8 section bro – LOL!) I think on eof the most impressive things you displayed here was that after a few years of playing, most guitarists still sound like 1 or 2 of their favorite player-influences, whereas you had already successfully blended many of your excellent influences (like Satch, Nuno, Scott Henderson, Steve Hackett/Mike Rutherford, Yngwie, etc.) It might be a bit disjointed, (like it could’ve been a scratch-pad for 3 or 4 other really solid songs! – LOL!) but as I said before, some of your trademark style was already (or close to) fully developed – like your: pinch-harmonics, vibrato, and alternate-picking/ staccato-technique and the various legato-techniques as well! šŸ˜‰

BTW, I think it’s really cool that you can share some musical memories with your brother. (I personally never had any other family musicians.) That’s pretty cool! šŸ˜Ž

Thanks again Rick for sharing a “bit of your past.” šŸ˜Ž

~Bill Meehan~ šŸ˜€

rochus

groovy šŸ˜€ i was 3 years old then an you was so good. thats not fair šŸ˜€

I was not even born yet šŸ™‚

billmeedog

@Alejandro Osorno 8876 wrote:

I was not even born yet šŸ™‚

Guys, šŸ™‚

OK…Now I’m just totally DEPRESSED!!! šŸ˜® :rolleyes: – (LOL!) šŸ˜‰

~Bill Meehan~ šŸ˜€

Max.

Cool tune, kinda different from your latest songs.
    It’s interessting how artists develope over the years, but keeping their trademarks.
    And I was 5 years old back then šŸ˜‰

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.