So as you can hear, this is definitely "Petrucci style" especially with how we're alternate picking a chromatic sequence.
Some key points and tips:
- Works over the key of A minor.
- Mainly uses alternate picking.
- Practicing with a metronome is recommended.
- Try to play the lick with precision, and accuracy.
- Second exercise acts as a great warm-up.
Once you feel you have mastered the lick, try reversing or re-arranging the idea to further challenge your technique.
***I should also mention that Mike Portnoy has officially parted ways with Dream Theater, but the band as a whole is not breaking up like I said in the video. I had originally heard that the band might break up through a verbal rumor, but that looks to be entirely false.***
Hope you all enjoy the lick. Shred hard!