So let's stick these chords together into an eight-bar blues progression.
1) We start by playing our E5 chord 16 times using a down picking motion.
- Remember here, the only two strings that should be sounded are the top two.
- Count "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" out loud, or tap your foot to each quarter beat (1, 2, 3, 4)
- The strings we now pick drop to the second set - the 4th and 5th strings verses the 5th and 6th.
- Prepare yourself for the semi-quick transition back to E5
- This will be the most challenging transition. Not only are we switching groups of strings, but our left hand posture has to change from it's regular "lazy" stature to being able to handle this new stretch.
- NOTE: Your index finger will already be placed on the second fret of the 5th string during the E5 chord - so basically, our ring finger has to make its way to the fourth fret on the fourth string, and voila!